August 7, 2013

Review: Living Proof Amp Instant Texture Volumizer



Here's what Living Proof says (via Sephora):
"Bring some life to your style. Get touchable texture plus amplified volume and flexible hold for that perfectly imperfect look. This texturizer works on dry hair so it’s instantly gratifying –and revivable for 48 hours. Bring instant life and energy to dry hair without the tradeoffs, and save time."

Read on for my review!


Ingredients: 
Water, Synthetic Beeswax, PEG-8 Beeswax, Maltodextrin/VP Copolymer, Isoamyl Laurate, C8-22 Alkyl Acrylates/Methacrylic Acid Crosspolymer, Oleth-10, Myrica Pubescens Fruit Wax, Myristyl Alcohol, Ceteareth-25, Polyalkylaminoester-1 (PBAE), Polyacrylamide, Fragrance/Parfum, C13-14 Isoparaffin, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Laureth-7, Glycerin, Methylisothiazolinone, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, PVM/MA Copolymer, Citronellol, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citral.

I have been test running this product for about a week.

I am not a user of hair products that come in tubs (pomades, wax, gum, spiking glue etc.) as they are generally geared towards men or women with short hair (or fine, straight hair). Products like that usually add buildup and weigh my thin hair down instead of creating volume.

Due to the above reasons, I did not buy the product when it was first released. I actually received it for free in an ebay auction, along with some other Living Proof items I purchased.

Review:

Texture: When first applied, it is sticky. It is tacky. You will feel like you have gum in your hair. However, this feeling subsides within a few hours, and then your hair loses the tacky feeling.

Scent: Similar scent to the Lving Proof Thickening Creme. Basically, a similar smell to most of the products, just a little more like Elmer's Glue.

Packaging: Black Tub. I think this is a good product design for this type of product. It would be difficult to get the last bit out of a tube type container, so this seems less wasteful.

I have used this several different ways:
1. defining air dried curls individually to add separation and texture
2. defining individual curls after a twist out
3. using it before a twist out, as my product, and then just dabbing a small amount where needed

Here are my feelings:
This is a great product. Or rather, it can be a great product if you figure out how to use it best and are willing to subject yourself to a learning curve.


I found it worked best defining individual curls after a twist out (method #2). Defining air dried curls worked okay, but I ran into the same issue I run into with most products: the curl pattern is not the same all over my head, so one product for all of my hair (when worn naturally) does not look good or help much. It looked really great using method #3 after the twist outs and for the rest of the day, but I didn't get 2nd or 3rd day hair with that method. When applying it to individual curls after twist out, I really got the most mileage out of it. Your hair type will obviously impact your results.

We have had a week with 90% humidity almost every single day. This stuff held my style, and produced good 2nd and 3rd day hair. Only a very small amount is needed, even in high humidity, so this is extremely budget friendly compared to other Living Proof products. You only get 2oz for $24, but I literally apply it in tiny dabs. At the rate that I use it, it could theoretically last me a year. It washes out very easily and leaves no buildup, even with very gentle sulfate free shampoos. It seemed to wash out fine with co-washing as well.

Overall, A-

This can be a great texturizing and volumizing product. I'm was pretty impressed by how well it worked, sometimes. I am still holding a grudge against Living Proof for discontinuing my favorite product (straight making for thick to coarse hair), but I was impressed enough with this that I picked up the (then) new flex shaping hairspray.

I hope this was useful, feel free to ask questions.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment