August 18, 2013

Product Review: DevaCurl - Ultra Defining Gel



Description (via Sephora): A ultradefining and moisturizing gel dissolves instantly when applied to wet hair and dries forming a moisture-protective case to enhance curls.

Read on for my review!


Ingredients: 
Water, VP/VA Copolymer, Glycerin, Polyquaternium-7, Polysorbate 20, Triticum Aestivum (Wheat) Peptide, Avena Sativa (Oat) Peptide, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Peptide, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Aminomethyl Propanol, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Fragrance.

Caveat:
I never tried Arc Angell when it was packaged as such. I do not know if this product is the same, or if it has been tweaked.

Texture: Very tacky texture, both on hands and hair. With regard to the Sephora description above, it does not dissolve. The aforementioned "moisture-protective case" manifested as a film. I only wash about once or twice per week, so this felt pretty disturbing after three days.

Scent: Strong, unplaceable scent, like all other products in the Deva Curl range. I found this product to be more strongly scented than B'Leave In. I find the foam and styling creme are as strongly scented as this gel.

Performance/Function: This is extremely volumizing, and it has a strong hold. I found that it did not combat frizz (I suppose it combatted frizz better than no product at all, but frizz was still present, despite the stiff hold and volume), nor did it define curls any better than a standard drugstore gel (L.A. Looks was used in comparison).

Pros:
- Great for lasting volume
- Firm hold
- No long term build up, provided you at least low-poo.

Cons:
- Very tacky, leaves a film on hair
- Doesn't fight frizz
- Doesn't define curls

Overall:
IMO, curly hair products marketed as gels should be able to define, hold, and combat frizz. If a product can't do those things, then it should be marketed as a regular gel, not a gel for curly hair. This product provides good hold, and would be a great product spiking hair or getting great volume. I personally don't have a use for it. B-

Note: I have tried Deva Light defining gel (formerly Angell), but it basically disappeared into my hair. I may try it out again when I make the upcoming move to a drier climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment