August 15, 2013

Product Review: L.A. Looks nutra-CURL

Edit 3/23: I don't use this in Colorado, as dries out my hair, and the small amount of buildup isn't worth it. For some reason I thought it was glycerin free, but I was wrong. Way to go, me :( It sits, sadly, under my sink. This review, however, was written in the humid Chicago summer.

On to the review:


Pre review info: I kinda had to buy it. My mother has been using L.A. Looks strong hold gel (and nothing else - she also uses Suave shampoo/conditioner, much to my chagrin, even though she only washes once every two weeks) since as far back as I can remember, on her loose fro. I HATE the smell.

I saw this at CVS today. It was a "level 8" hold, and it said:
 "NEW! HYDRATING AVOCADO OIL!"
After quickly reading the ingredients, I was aware that it does not contain "hydrating avocado oil (which isn't hydrating, by the way)", but avocado glycerides, which is fine with me. It is free of 'cones, mineral oil, and glycerin (WRONG!). It contains polyquat 11, which some curlies have issues with.

My biggest reason for purchasing: it doesn't smell bad. I mean it really, really, doesn't smell bad. It actually smells........pleasant? I'm not sure if that's the right word, but it certainly isn't a foul smelling, crime against humanity like its elderly cousin, my hair gel nemesis. I digress.

Ingredients: 
Aqua (Water), PVP, Polyquaternium-11, Carbomer, Panthenylethyl Ether, PEG-11 Avocado Glycerides, Phenoxyethanol, Aminomethyl Propanol, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Methylparaben, Propylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Benzophenone-4, Methylisothiazolinone, Parfum (Fragrance).

Texture: Normal gel texture, what you'd expect from L.A. Looks.

Scent: A palatable smell that dissipates, nothing like the LA Looks gels of the past.

 Overall, it leaves my hair pretty, bouncy, and crunch free. It doesn't have any ingredients I am purposely trying to avoid. Unless you experience buildup, I would say give it a try. At $3 for 20oz, this is a steal.

If they sell it in your area, you have nothing to lose by trying it. B+

No comments:

Post a Comment