August 8, 2013

Brazilian keratin treatments: a short (yet hopefully helpful) comparison list (UPDATED 8/23)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is next to no information on the interwebs about current BKT products.  Any well known name brank BKT solutions (that contain some level of formaldehyde) have been banned from ebay.

I preface the rest of this post with a warning;

If you are not familiar with styling hair or doing extensive treatments, don't consider this an option. Formaldehyde is an extremely strong chemical in large doses, and you need to have the wherewithal to know how to execute this procedure, while staying away from your scalp.


I say that only because the following list might make you want to BKT, if you were ever curious. But please, tread lightly in the vast world of keratin treatments.

Read on for some of my experiences with BKT Brands:

Here are some BKT brands that I have tried, and my opinion with regards to efficacy:

(last note of warning: nearly every BKT brand has reformulated its signature product since the OSHA compliance went into effect. Most of the current BKT products below have been reformulated to their detriment.)

1. (Coppola) Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy: The old formula was my go to for years. It was easy to use, didn't weigh my hair down during the 3 day waiting period, and didn't sting my eyes nearly as much as the current, and less effective products on the market. Please note that all current versions of this product have been useless to me. Even the bottles adorned with the old packaging contain the newer (and less effective) formula.

2. Rejuvenol Original Brazilian Keratin treatment with collagen: This worked well, but I stopped using it because I think it may have been causing damage to my root. I literally had 10 gray hairs that were not there before pop up after my first treatment. Things continued in a similar pattern with multiple applications.

3. Marcia Teixiera Original Keratin treatment: application experience was extremely similar to the Coppola. The results were slightly less impressive, but it seemed to be a decent enough choice for a BKT solution.

4. Softliss: I bought this as an uneducated consumer while traveling abroad. I did not realize that Soft Liss sells directly to consumers. Had I known that, I would never have purchased it. It was basically a huge waste of time.

5. ebay sellers: Years ago, I bought some "OK Keratin" product and it worked okay. It has since been banned by ebay. I recently bought "Mai Keratin" which has done nothing for my hair, but burns my eyes like no tomorrow. I jsut placed an order for La Brasiliana Domani, and I will report back once I have tried it.

UPDATE: 6. La Brasiliana Domani: This is supposed to be something you can rinse out after the process, but I left it in my hair for two days, mostly because I like to go back and flat iron again on day two. It works better than the stuff I got on ebay, but it doesn't work as well as the Marcia Teixiera or old Coppola. Not that it matters though, since those two are impossible to find. I will use this until I run out. I bought a 4oz bottle for $30 on ebay, and I am barely 1oz in, after two treatments (I only BKT my roots), so it seems like it will last quite a while.

I have always wanted to try: Cadiveau, Brazilian Blowout, Global Keratin (before the cirrent lame Juvexin stuff), QOD Max, and a few others, but I haven't managed to get my hands on them as of yet.

more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment