August 25, 2013

Big move! New climate! Back to back henna/BKT! pics!

I just made a permanent (ish) move. I will be attending school in Colorado for the next two years. In Chicago, summers are brutal. There is no such thing as heat without humidity in Chicago. There is no such thing as a good hair day. There are only slightly-less-than-terrible hair days.

Not anymore! Glorious, dry, Colorado heat to the rescue. My hair-life is changing. I did something bold. Crazy, even.

I did a back to back henna/BKT. Ok, maybe it's not THAT crazy.

I guess I just don't know why the thought hadn't occurred to me before. It's genius.

I did a 1/2 cup cassia, 1/3 cup henna mix. I cowashed it out. I waited for my hair to dry, then I did the BKT.

For photos and a bunch of me babbling, read on!



Here were my motives:
1. My hair always seems stronger after a henna application. It sheds very little. My hair seems to shed a ton when I do a BKT, due to all the sectioning and manipulation, as well as the heat. I figured, why not do a chemical treatment when my hair is at its strongest? Turns out, I was right! I literally had three hairs fall on the ground during the BKT (compared to like 50 during my usual BKT)!

2. I have scalp psoriasis/eczema on the back of my neck/my lower scalp. It is genetic. My mom had me put topical prescription steroids on it when I was a kid. Henna eliminated that problem. I find that BKT exacerbates my issues. I thought, why not due a chemical treatment right after henna, so as to avoid scalp issues? Turns out, I was right!

3. BKT (formaldehyde) is a sealant. It basically smoothes the cuticle and maintains a straight configuration until it is gradually washed out. Cassia's effects wear off in about a week or two. The immediate benefits of henna (shiny hair, loosened curl pattern, thicker feeling hair) wear off in about a month. I figured a BKT immediately after a henna/cassia treatment might lengthen the effects of both. I will report back!

In my eyes, it was a smashing success. I think I am going to BKT after every henna treatment. The airport security took away my Easy-Lites, so my hair was slightly darkened by the henna this time. I even used the Jamila 2012 summer crop, which is supposed to be super weak. Meh. Here are some photos:








gratuitous highlighter shot (Edward Bess Sunlight I <3 you)








My hair looks a little funny due the the flat (BKT'ed) roots. My curls are fake (mini twist outs) with a little gel in them. The last two are in my pajamas on day two, with a bunch of coconut oil on my ends :)



No comments:

Post a Comment