October 26, 2013

Living Proof PHD review: Murphy Brown Lied to Us


I'm quoting Tina Fey (or Liz Lemon), "Murphy Brown lied to us." Murphy Brown made Liz Lemon believe she could have it all: a career and kids.

Living Proof lied to us. Living Proof said we could have it all (or at least 7 miracle hair benefits and a product that sounds like an advanced academic degree).


Do I smell a copycat? Haircare brand It's a 10 must be angry that its puffery is being so seamlessly mimicked. Pureology Color Fanatic: you're just kind of lame and late to the party. Bigger is not better: "21 benefits" just sounds like it was invented by a wish granting hair genie. I digress.

Living Proof has recently unveiled its newest, greatest, hair saving miracle, that does.....something.

What does it do?


According to Living Proof (via Sephora):

Living Proof's Perfect Hair Day (PHD) 5-in-1 Styling Treatment is powered by our award winning, patented molecules, OFPMA & PBAE, to provide the 5 styling & treatment benefits you need for beautiful, healthy hair in one simple step—smoothness, volume, conditioning, strength & polish. 

What it does: 
Provides a genius balance of styling & treatment benefits 
Provides 5 benefits needed for beautiful, healthy hair: 
- Smoothness 
- Volume 
- Conditioning 
- Strength 
- Polish 
- Heat Protection 
- UV Protection 
- Static Control 
Oil-free & silicone-free.

Read on for my review!



What is it? Good question. Styling and treatment benefits? Broken down, smoothness, conditioning, and polish are synonyms, with static control covered under the same umbrella. After those, volume and strength are listed. Living Proof notes that UV and heat protection are two functions of the product, so those could be the aforementioned "strength." Basically, this product should realistically do three things: condition, volumize, and protect from heat.

I used this in multiple ways, on multiple occasions. I tried it on soaking wet hair, on damp hair, on dry hair, after a leave in conditioner, without a leave in conditioner, after using Living Proof's Prime style extender, and without using Prime at all. I used it with a heat appliance as well as without heat styling.

Smoothing: I can attest to PHD's smoothing, although I am living in a dry climate. We are at about 15% daily humidity; pretty much anything is "smoothing" with regard to my hair in Colorado. I do not know how well this product would hold up in high humidity. I will have to update this review in the summer of 2014, when I return to Chicago. This product does not help straighten curly hair. This is not a replacement for any kind of straightening product. See below.

Volume: I think PHD works as well as Living Proof's thickening cream. If you like Thickening Cream, but want to combat a tiny amount of frizz, this might work for you. Thickening Cream is not a functional styler for me, as it does nothing to enhance curls and can actually disturb clumping and curl pattern.  I was hoping this product would surpass Living Proof's Thickening Cream; it did not.

Heat protection: This was, by far, the worst part of my experience with this product. What I have enjoyed in the past about Living Proof is that their products seem to work well in conjunction with each other. When combined with Living Proof Straight spray, this product turned my hair into a gummy mess that refused to straighten. Damage was done. My hair was left simultaneously gummy and fried. I found that aspect to be the most baffling, considering the fact that this product is heralded as a treatment.

I found this product to be completely useless. I kept trying to make it work, hoping that I was doing something wrong, but it really underwhelmed me.

If I was on a voting panel at the vague marketing/useless product awards, I would nominate this as product of the year.

Packaging: I thought I should add this, because it is equally baffling. This product is extremely hard to get out of its packaging. It's not very malleable, and I imagine those who use most of the bottle up (those poor, unfortunate souls) will be quite angry when they have to cut the bottle open to get to the rest of the product, as the container is not very squeezable. It's strange.

Living Proof, I am begging you. Tell me. What is going on? Why have you lied to us? You are like the Corky Sherwood of hair care brands.

No comments:

Post a Comment