April 28, 2024

Bond Rant: Rebuild Bonds? Woes, Myths, & Curlsmith Bond Curl Rehab Salve


I've been all up in the science of temporary hair bond rebuilding, patent stealing, and truth stretching in advertising for a number of years. I take the word 'bond' in haircare with a grain of salt (that I add into my indigo for color retention). I have no interest in analyzing the silly claims from every company, but I have a very simple point to make and a recommendation for nice product I like on which I disagree with the manufacturing company's instructions:


A product I like lately:

Curlsmith Bond Curl Rehab Salve - this is a nice moisturizing conditioner, deep conditioner, or product to leave on the rest of my hair (if it's clean) while I am henna-ing. However, this product is marked as a pre-shampoo treatment. Companies are dead set on making people spend as much $ as possible, but there is absolutely no reason why anyone should use this before shampooing.

To explain:

Shampoo washes out product, dirt, dust, etc. from hair. While adsorption (not absorption) can occur before shampooing, it certainly works better after. Using a product meant to repair hair on top of a bunch of hair products, dirt, and dust significantly reduces its efficacy. 

Example: You want to moisturize your foot, but you are wearing a sock. Solution: put moisturizer on top of the sock. 

Companies explain that the reason to use these types of products before shampooing is that shampoo eliminates residue. But using a product meant to temporarily rebuild bonds won't work if there are 8 layers of silicone on hair. Conditioner and water can eliminate residue. Using bond building products or "repairing" treatments before shampooing eliminates $. The exception is oil. If an oil can't be absorbed into the hair shaft, it is definitely a great idea to use it before shampooing, but for oily hair, I would say just skip the oil.

Whether or not the Living Proof Triple Bond Complex works (the jury is still out), at least the company instructs to put it on after shampooing and conditioning, and not before.

End rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment